1.14.2010

Haiti.


My days have become lazy lately. Really, really lazy. I have files and files of images to edit, goals to conquer, books to read, recipes to try, but for some reason I can't sum up the energy. Maybe its just because my brain has been going overtime these last 4 months...I think I feel like I owe it to myself to soak in the pure joy that watching Oprah and reruns of Friends has to offer me. Yeah, I'm pathetic guys. Actually Ryan and I's life has become pretty pathetic and I guess you can't blame jobless, school-less people like us. "This is what my life has come to," Ryan joked with Vic yesterday, "Watching Ellen with my wife." When Vic asked why he wasn't watching Oprah Ryan says, "Vic, don't you know Oprah doesn't start until 4?" Ok. Seriously pathetic. But, like Ryan amusingly told me last weekend, "My twenties have been a blast." haha. We seriously are so blessed even though we don't have much going for ourselves this winter. Which sort of leads me to my point.

Today I was just browsing the internet when I came upon these amazing images from Justin Hackworth (Utah Photographer) on his visit to Haiti last July. Then, it hit me. I've been a sack of nothing this whole month so far, completely disregarding the fact that I live a very blessed life. I take so much for granted. Here I was, sitting in my pj's still (pathetic, folks!) and I looked at these faces who were so happy and full of life this summer. I wondered what they were doing now. If they were still alive. If they had a home. I felt the sudden urge to do something about it and get off my butt and do something important. The people of Haiti truly need our help. Here are a few websites we can donate to: LDS Humanitarian Services and The American Red Cross. Lets make a difference and help out those in this world that need it. If any of you hear about any humanitarian projects to help Haiti please let me know! I've been thinking of making blankets or sending packages down there to help out as well. Anyway, I thought these images were beautiful and they touched me so I thought I should share them with you.

4 comments:

Beth said...

I was looking at these too. And I also have been watching friends reruns. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't know what to do with their life.

BL said...

trust me, i know every show from oprah to barney... when its on and what channel. But you said it right meg, you HAVE to enjoy these days because before you know it Ryan will be busy working and you will be having babies (right?!?!) and things will change. So just soak it all up and enjoy! love ya!

Jill said...

I agree, enjoy it. I'm a job hopper, so I have had some beautiful unemployed moments.

Danny & Branae Porter said...

Meg's that is so inspiring! Thank you for posting that! We all can really make such a difference and bless the lives of those who are in need! Thank you for also posting where we can donate money to because i just didn't know where to look so thank you for posting this..it was just what i needed to hear and it really hit home on how blessed we truely are!