12.14.2010

christmas carbonara.

Photo taken from MarthaStewart.com. I know, pathetic that I didn't take my own picture. 
Once I realized I wanted to, my bowl was already empty.
I used her Everyday Foods recipe as a base for this one.

A blog isn't a blog without a recipe here and there, am I right?


Carbonara. Carb being the keyword here, people. But, with the holidays coming up, you may as well eat up with all the other Christmas sweets. Enjoy!


Carbonara al la Hobson
Angel Hair pasta                  Peas, frozen and thawed
Bacon                                       1 Shallot, halved and sliced
2 or 3 eggs, beaten                   1 Cup Half and Half (maybe more depending on how you like it)
Cook pasta as directed. Meanwhile, cook bacon on a skillet on the stove. Once bacon is cooked, remove and drain grease. Place Peas and shallots in the same skillet (this part is important.) so that all of the yummy bacon flavoring still on the pan gets onto your peas and shallots. Saute and then add Half and Half. Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to a simmer, stirring all the while. Let sauce start to thicken. If pasta is done, drain but keep about 1 cup of the leftover pasta water and set aside. Place pasta back into the pot and coat with a little of the pasta water (not all of it). With the sauce still hot (thats important too), add beaten eggs, sauce and pasta all together -- all at the same time. Since the sauce is hot still, it will cook the eggs. Mix very well. If you need to, add a little of the leftover pasta water you saved, but not a lot if it has cooled off, or the eggs won't get cooked. Add salt and pepper and bits of bacon. Serve!

I hope everyone has a great Holiday Season, filled with really good food!

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Looks delicious!